We The Fest 2019 (Only Come for Travis)

July 31, 2019


My first concert in 2019, wohooo!

Let me tell you something, at first I didn't have any intentions to come to We The Fest (WTF) this year since the line-up wasn't that interesting for me. But when I saw Travis' tweet that they were going to perform at WTF, I literally screamed and bought the ticket right away.



Talking about WTF, the last time I came to this festival was in 2016 to watch The 1975. The venue was still in Senayan. But since 2017, WFT has been held at JIEXPO Kemayoran, which is much farther from my house. Even though I watched the concert with my friend, he lived close to Kemayoran so essentially I traveled there by myself. Since Travis was on at 12 am, I decided to book a hotel for 2 days 1 night. Because by the time it was finished, commuter line/train was no longer in operation, it was the cheapest mode of transportation.

I stayed at Red Doorz Plus @ Kemayoran for Rp 99.000 via Red Doorz app. It was a very good deal since the real price was about Rp 180.000 or so.  I chose this hotel because it was really close to the venue. Only 10-15 minutes to JIEXPO by Go-Jek or Grab Bike and approximately 10 minutes to Kemayoran Station also by motorcycle.

I arrived at the hotel about 1:30 pm. The reason I got to the hotel so early because I bought the Early Entry ticket, which means I had to enter the venue before 4 pm (but there was a slight hiccup from Ismaya). If I enter above 4 pm, I had to pay an extra Rp 200.000. So as soon as I checked in, I put my bag in my room and rushed to order Go-Jek to JIEXPO.

The room itself was quite small. So if you are someone who is a little claustrophobic and doesn't really like tight spaces, I don't recommend staying at this hotel. But if you don't have no problem with that, then this hotel is decent enough. Unfortunately, the room was quite dim. It was hard for me to put on makeup and I had to use the flashlight from my phone. But since I only stayed here for one night, I was okay with that (I only had to pay for Rp 99.000, remember?). The staff was really friendly and helpful, they allowed me to check in early before 2 pm. Okay since this is not really a travel blog I'm going to stop explaining the hotel and just see the pictures I snapped below (sorry for the bad quality hehe). The point is I would definitely come back if necessary.







After I arrived at JIEXPO around 2:30, I saw people sitting in some kind of a booth deliberately provided by Go-Jek so people can wait there and avoid the sun (it was blazing hawt 🔥). I also sat there and assumed the gate would open at 3 pm (since the previous day, the gate open around that time). Turned out, the entrance opened at 4 pm. I presumed there were some errors or whatever which caused Ismaya to delay the entry period, I didn't really know what it was though. So, in the end, there was no difference between the Early Entry and General Admission ticket holders (those who purchased General Admission tickets could come at any time during the day). So what is really the point then? I think Ismaya should work on this policy and make sure that everything stays within the procedure.

When I was queuing, just like WTF 2016, I asked the security to help me tie up my wristband which was essentially my ticket. Because if it was broken, the ticket was invalid and you couldn't get in.  Regarding the ticket, I exchanged my e-voucher for a wristband at Gandaria City Mall. Ismaya staff was there for 3 days (16 to 18 July). You could actually trade your e-voucher at the venue on the d-day, but I traded mine at Gandaria City to avoid double queuing.


When I was approaching the security, there were two gentlemen asking for the security's help as well. We ended up chatting and queuing together (my people skill usually comes out when I meet people with the same interests, I am not one who usually starts a conversation 😁). I didn't ask for their names though. Not to be rude, but they were older than the majority of the crowd, I supposed they were in their 40s. One of them said to me that he was here only to see Travis and I replied: "So do I!" He also showed me his picture with Travis (minus Fran) at the airport.

Since 2017, WTF has been held for 3 days straight, usually on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. This time, I only came on the second day, which fell on July 20th. The gentlemen whom I was queuing with, were quite shocked by the appearance of the majority of the crowd. I admit the people were indeed wearing rather eccentric ensembles. For me, it was quite an amusing sight. Then I looked at my own plain outfit and thinking "'I am too fucking old to dress up just to watch a concert".
 
There was also one memorable experience while I was queuing. There was a demonstration outside the gate carried out by Barisan Pemuda Muslim Indonesia (BPMI). They demanded that WTF must not be held since the festival was not suited to Indonesian culture and value. Since this is a democratic country, people are free to convey their aspirations, as long as it is done orderly and by the rules. To each their own, I don't really care. 

After waiting for almost 2 hours, the gate finally opened. The impression I got upon entering that the area was pretty spacious, so the people could roam freely to booths or restaurant section. Much better if compared to WTF 2016. Buuuut, the headliner stage or 'We The Fest Stage' was somehow smaller than the one in Senayan? Hmmmm... Anyhow, inside, you could explore sponsored booths, from IM3, tiket.com, Mie Sedaap, Blibli.com, and many others. They provided fun games, experiences, art installations, and even vouchers. There were plenty of Instagramble spots as well. 






But since I was there literally alone, I didn't go to any of the booths or played any games. As an introvert, I thought I could handle being alone at a music festival. Well, turned out it was quite awkward. It's okay though, this was part of my experiment. Next time I have to go with at least one person. In the end, I only took some pics and bought tokens.

When it comes to tokens, they were the substitute for cash. One token was equivalent to Rp 30.000. You can buy tokens at the top-up booths scattered around WTF. I only bought 2 tokens but ended up forgetting to refund since I only bought 1 mineral bottle. There goes my Rp 30.000 😞.


After I was satisfied circling around the area (and feeling a little bit awkward), I returned to the hotel around 5 pm to take a bath rest for a bit since Travis' slot was at midnight.

***

I left the hotel and re-renter WTF at 8 pm after ordering KFC for dinner (I refused to eat at WTF since the cheapest food price was 2.5 tokens). There was this stupid occurrence where I forgot to wear deodorant. DAMN IT! I had never EVER forgotten to wear deodorant, why now?? But it was too late, I was about to arrive and there was no Indomaret or any kind of grocery stores in sight. I just sighed and decided not to let this silly incident stop me from having fun.

Long story short I eventually met my friend Dimas. He came with his cousin and his cousin's friend.

So, before Travis, there were two other acts: Anne Marie and then Daniel Caesar. Both great musicians, but not my cup of tea. At first, I was kind of worried that we wouldn't be able to get front row since it was packed. But then we thought the crowd, which consists of teenagers and young adults in early twenties would disperse as soon as Daniel Caesar was done (it was true though).

The first artist that we saw was Anne Marie. She really had a good voice, I mean reaaallly goood, not pitchy or off-key whatsoever, even when she got emotional during 'Then', she managed to hold herself together and still sounded perfect. Her interaction with the crowd felt genuine and heartfelt. She really did seem to have a good time despite the heat.


After Anne Marie, it was time for Daniel Caesar to perform. He was on about 10:30 pm and the last act before Travis. So I and my friends moved closer to the stage. Daniel Caesar's music is more like a jazz and R&B type (also not the kind of music I listen to. I and Dimas even dozed off a little during his set). But he indeed had a beautiful voice and music, but I felt like he should work on his relationship with his audience. I didn't know if that was just how he communicated with the crowd or because he was rather a newcomer.


When Daniel Caesar finished his last song/massive hit 'Best Part', the people who packed the We The Fest Stage area slowly starting to back out and we walked closer to the front row. I totally forgot that there was this exclusive spot reserved for V.I.B (Very Important Bananas) ticket holders (which was the most expensive ticket). So, the center front row for EE and GA ticket holders was quite far from the stage. We eventually moved to the right side. Even though this spot was already crowded with people, it was still much closer than the center front row which blocked by the V.I.B area.

When we were finally marked our spot, my heart began to race (my heart is beating fast while writing this part). For me experiencing an adrenaline rush while waiting for your favorite band to come out is one of the most beautiful feelings. It makes me feel alive, all the more when I am with people who have the same interest and excitement as me.

I looked around and the people there were way more mature compared to the usual WTF concert-goers. I was probably among the younger crowd. Some guys and gals were there by themselves.

At midnight, the light was starting to dim and the guitar shredding sound echoed in the air. Signs that the show was about to begin. I (who was still conscious of my no-deodorant status) started to scream and jumping. Green lights covered the stage and there they were, entering one by one: Fran Healy, And Dunlop, Dougie Payne, and Neil Primrose. The crowd cheered and I couldn't believe my eyes.

Their first song was "Side" from The Invisible Band album. Everyone was singing along and the nostalgia officially began.

Throughout their set, almost everyone sang along to the songs they performed, or at least in my section. There was this one dude, I thought he came alone. At first, he just stood there and occasionally nodding his head, probably feeling a 'lil bit awkward. But after a few songs, he gave in and began to sing his heart out. Way to go guy!

At one moment, me and Dimas' cousin (her name was Eka by the way), were in awe and couldn't really comprehend how good Travis was.

"I can't process this." She said.

"Me neither, they are too awesome," I replied.

Although by appearance they looked seasoned, their performance quality didn't wear off. Fran and Andy even got real expressive while playing the bridge part of 'Writing to Reach You'. I was initially worried that Fran's voice would be problematic because of jet lag (it seemed they immediately flew from Europe to Indonesia). But I was wrong, his voice was as clear as a sunny day, it was magical.

There is this one song by them which never exits my playlist since the first time I heard it (probably around 2003/2004) called 'Love Will Come Through'. This song is also one of my favorite songs ever. And when they began to play it, I was speechless. I truly never thought that I would get the chance to see them live, let alone in my own country. They just seemed like a kind of band that wouldn't come to Indonesia. So good job Ismaya! I saw lots of people from overseas came to WTF just to see Travis. As far as I know, Travis is not holding any concerts anywhere after Indonesia, not even in the neighboring countries like Singapore or Australia.

Before they delivered the beloved 'Sing', Fran dropped a fact that his wife's grandmother was Indonesian and immediately applauded by the audience. Sooo maybe that's why they decided to come to here? Maybe.

'Flowers in The Window' was one of the songs I also had been dying to hear and see. They usually sing this one acoustically in the center. This time was no exception, all of them participated. On the second verse, Fran sang, Dougie strummed the guitar, Andy pressed the chords, and Neil was the only one playing the tambourine.


Sometimes when I'm watching a concert, there is this one moment (or multiple moments) where I think to myself: "Is this real? Am I really seeing them right now?" and that happened with Travis. I kept reassuring myself that there were right there in front of me.

As for the setlist, they delivered hits after hits and each song greeted boisterously by the crowd. I assumed they purposely picked only their biggest hit songs because it was their first time performing in Indonesia. Moreover, they played at a festival so the duration was limited.


Even though their set was quite short and there was no encore, I was happy with it due to the fact they brought most of their well-known songs. But when it was all done, I still stood there for a few minutes, unwilling to leave and a bit sad because it was over. But that was okay, at least I could see them live with my own eyes, in my own country, with people who loved them so dearly.

Watching Travis perform live was in my bucket list. Why? Because I grew up with their songs. Since elementary school until today. Especially after I saw their live act on Youtube, and they had this charming way of capturing the crowd's heart. Everyone was truly having a good time. What I also love about them is they are a very simple band, not a sell-out, no weird gimmicks. They just write music. I suppose I am drawn to this type of musicians.

There was one revelation which I acquired after watching this concert that people have their own ways of enjoying music or maybe life in general. For instance, the target market for WTF was the youngsters, I must admit they dressed up to the max for this music festival. One might think "why would you care so much about what you wear just to watch concerts?" Well, for me, that is completely okay. They want to be cool and to be the best, or just simply want to express themselves. Having fun while they are young. Weren't we all feel like that at some point? Feeling like we were the real deal. And one more thing, I'd rather spend my money on experiences than things (I'd love to spend on both, but I'm no Sultan).  

As for WTF itself, I have no complaints because everything was fine, except for the Early Entry policy which wasn't followed by the actual implementation, at least not on the second day of the festival.

Thank you for reading this blog post and onto the next concert! 🙌



Photo Source(s):
Travis' Setlist acquired from Hasie Ardiasyah's Instagram Story (@hasiefardiasyah)

You Might Also Like

0 comments