Jack's Mannequin is a Part of Me and Nothing Can Change That

October 18, 2018



I’m still trying to be at peace over the fact that I might never be able to see them live *sobs*

I think it sounds cliché when I say music saves lives, but in my case it really does and that is what Jack’s Mannequin (JM) have been doing for me for God knows how long. I don’t care how cheesy it may sound.

I think I’ve mentioned this band quite often on this blog and now I’m going to explain the reasons why. I wrote about Andrew McMahon (the lead singer, pianist, and basically the mastermind of JM) here and here, and this post is solely about JM.

JM started out as Andrew’s solo project, but he eventually made it into a full band with Bobby "Raw" Anderson - lead guitar, Mikey "The Kid" Wagner - bass, and Jay McMillan - drums. He wrote some songs but he thought they wouldn’t fit for Something Corporate (his first band) and then continued on creating music on his own after his bandmate and fellow songwriter in the band focused on his other side project. Andrew made a deal with Maverick Records after recording the songs that he wrote with his own money. Their first album, ‘Everything in Transit’ was released in 2005 and the first single ‘The Mixed Tape’ appeared on One Tree Hill, one of the biggest TV shows in the United States at that time.

Okay so the album came out in 2005, I was still in junior high and I still can’t remember where or when was the first time I heard their songs. It could be from my old computer when my brother used to put a bunch of songs in it or from the radio. Either way, I’m grateful.

For me, JM has songs that are fit for any circumstances and moods. Here’s the short list:
  • Happy: Doris Day / Crashin’ / La La Lie / Holiday from Real / Miss Delaney
  • In Love: MFEO Pt 1 – Made for Each Other / Pt 2 – You Can Breathe / Restless Dream
  • Sad/Upset: Hammers and Strings (A Lullaby)
  • Lonely: Dark Blue / Kill The Messenger / The Lights and Buzz / At Full Speed
  • Need Some Encouragements: Swim / The Resolution / Casting Lines
  • On The Road: My Racing Thoughts / Amy, I / I’m Ready / Drop Out – The So Unknown
  • Anytime: The Mixed Tape / Release Me / Out of It / Dear Jack / Locked Doors
And many other good songs to listen to.

He replied me on Twitter! I almost cried..

JM is important for me because their songs came at the right time when I was just still a teenager. Sure some of the lyrics are mature and I had no idea what they meant back then. But there was this sentiment like I had a really good friend who just listened and basically sat there next to me while I was talking or expressing my feelings without any judgments. And that feeling of being understood continues until today. One of their songs titled “Swim” has helped me numerous times while I was really sad or depressed. I think I will never get tired of JM, never ever EVEEEEEEEEER.

Andrew is a really good pianist and composer and it shows through the songs that he wrote. I have never heard any other bands incorporate piano parts into a full band like JM before. The piano is the soul and strength of their songs, it has become the earmark of the band but still works really well with other instruments. And the melodies that Andrew makes with his piano, ooh it is other-worldly. I can easily identify any songs that he makes just by listening to the piano part, just like with the song “I Heard Your Voice in a Dream” by Smash Cast, from a musical TV Show.

As for Andrew himself, my admiration for him will never wear off. He’s just a musician who is as genuine as it gets. He makes music just because he loves it and that’s it. It’s his form of therapy. I and his fans all over the world know that. We’re going to follow him until he doesn’t make music any longer, which probably will only happen when he dies.

JM only put out 3 albums, ‘Everything in Transit’ in 2005, ‘The Glass Passenger’ in 2007, and ‘People and Things’ in 2011. Andrew said those three albums are enough to expel any feelings that he had been dealing and keeping throughout his 20s, the confusion, sadness, and depression especially after being a cancer survivor. So, JM era ended in 2012.

Surely I was really sad when I heard that they broke up, but I couldn’t do anything about it. Thankfully, they released a live album in 2013 called ‘Live from the El Rey Theater'. I bought it when I had the money in 2015 knowing that I might never be able to watch them live. 

ma preciousssssss

Although Andrew has Dear Jack Foundation, a non-profit institution focusing on supporting and doing researches for adolescents and young adults who have cancer, and he sometimes put out shows for raising donations, so, there is still a chance to see JM or at the very least see Andrew (BUT IT’S IN THE FREAKIN’ UNITED STATES BRAH). Life is full of surprises, so let’s just wait and see. Gosh, I can’t even imagine if that really happens, one thing for sure is that I will cry my eyes out. So I’m just going to be patient and keep hoping. Cheers! 

The Mixed Tape

Dark Blue

Crashin'

The Resolution

My Racing Thoughts

Restless Dream


BONUS

Something Corporate - I Woke Up in a Car

Andrew McMahon in the Wilderness - So Close

Smash Cast - I Heard Your Voice in a Dream


Photo Source:

You Might Also Like

0 comments