The Andrew McMahon (and Illegal Downloads) Story

August 02, 2014



Source: www.andrewmcmahon.com
First let me start off with how awesome this man is, I could go on and on about him but I will try to control myself. Andrew McMahon is a musician originated  from Massachusetts but grew up in California. He is known for being in a band called Something Corporate, and another band which got me fall in love with his music, Jack’s Mannequin. I decided to write about him because his recent project “Andrew McMahon in The Wilderness”  produced new materials and once again I’m reminded that he is such an amazing guy and musician. The first time I heard one of his songs was back when i was in junior high and “The Mixed Tape” came on the radio and the rest is history.

He is a great example of a human being who loves music for what it is without its unnecessary attachments (yes I’m talking about music scene these days). I told you earlier that he is an amazing guy, one of the thing that makes me look up to him is when he beats his cancer, you can watch his documentary about it called “Dear Jack”. I haven’t watched it myself, but from GIFs that i saw on Tumblr or some of the scenes from YouTube, I literally cried and wonder why the nicest dude had such an awful illness? But I think everything happens for a reason. Now he inspires so many people, has loyal fans that adore him, and a lovely family.

We all have songs that remind us to bad stuff and don’t wanna listen to them anymore (or perhaps take some time). That’s not the case with Andrew’s, or at least how I feel about them. I could listen to his songs on any circumstances.  This type of music is rare to me and probably that is why I cherish his existence so much. To watch his live performance is on my bucket list and I haven’t even written the infamous ‘Bucket List’ of life yet. Aside from all of that, something bothers me. The feelings and emotions that Andrew gave me through his songs are so real and precious. The thing is, I don’t own any of his creations, whether it’s a CD, DVD, or digital music.

Source: www.allhiphop.com
But let me be honest, living in Indonesia where piracy and illegal download are common have become a major obstacle for music or even movie scene local or international here, and I am one of those people who is still doing it (I know it’s bad but don’t act like you haven’t done it yourself). I’m trying to cut this behaviour down by not illegally downloaded songs from local bands (I love you Pure Saturday and Sajama Cut) because it’s easier to find their CDs, where on the other side it’s so hard to purchase international music that I like (or super expensive since they’re imported). I actually found JM’s The Glass Passenger in a music store one day when I was in High School and it costs about $20. C’mon let’s be real I didn’t have that much money and at that time I already spent my savings on Four Year Strong’s Enemy of The World (it’s a great album btw no doubt about it) which also costs about the same. But I promise one thing, ONE DAY WHEN I’M RICH OR HAVE A DESCENT JOB I WILL PURCHASE CDs FROM BANDS THAT I LISTEN TO GROWING UP OR THOSE WHOSE SONGS I ILLEGALLY DOWNLOADED. There I said it. Which is why I’m going to buy JM’s Live from El Rey from Amazon with the help of an intermediary, and I’m so excited about it!

So for Andrew Mcmahon I’m sorry that I downloaded your songs for free from the internet and I’ll make it up to you hopefully soon, and I also wish that I could watch your show one day or if i’m lucky enough I could meet you personally even though I’m socially awkward and possibly faint when I’m about to talk to you. Thank you for the music that accompanied me throughout my adolescent periods and for years to come. I bet Cecilia would be proud to have a father like you. I love you Andrew, but don’t worry it’s the platonic kind of love so don’t be creeped out about it. 


Something Corporate-I Woke Up in A Car


Jack's Mannequin-The Mixed Tape


Andrew McMahon in The Wilderness-Cecilia and The Satellite












You Might Also Like

0 comments