LA DISPUTE

April 13, 2014



source: http://www.au.timeout.com/brisbane/music/events/2571/la-dispute

I have always wanted to know more about this particular band, because of the hype that angsty kids‘ posts on Tumblr that keep appearing on my dashboard. The first time I decided to gave a listen was 2 years ago, and I was like “what the hell is this? This is not a song, the vocalist isn’t even singing” then I had no interest to go further. Even though I did not understand what is the deal with this band (or I’m too stupid), they lingered on my mind until finally couple of weeks ago I looked them up again on the internet and found their website. They provide free session to listen to their songs plus the lyrics. I haven’t seen many bands’ website these days but this one is a bit different. They put lyrics alongside the songs, allowing you to enjoy the music while reading the intricate words. I don’t usually put genre on bands but you can casually call them a hard-core band with a touch of emo and possibly rap?  

Oh pardon me I forgot to mention the band’s name, they’re called La Dispute. Founded in 2004 from the city of Grand Rapids, Michingan. whenever I listen to them I feel like someone is reading me a story in a package of a poem, sometimes romantic, sometimes tragic and heartbreaking, or sometimes picturing ordinary events in a poetic fashion which is super fascinating and they really write lyrics in an un-orthodox manner that cannot be compared with any other bands. For those who have fondess for Brand New and Balance and Composure I could see you would like their sounds if you willing to give them a chance by listening multiple times (not being judgy-wudgy like I was).

Music-wise, while most of their songs are pretty “in-yo-face”, some of their rather slow songs are very beautiful in a very La Dispute way. For instance “Woman (In Mirror)” opens with a thump as if your own heart is pumping. Another songs that stand out are “Hudsonville MI 1956", “35” (which reminds me of Nirvana), “Stay Happy There”, and “Somewhere - the Last Long Continent” with its 12 minutes duration does not feel boring at all because of the diverse melodies that it has. One of the thing about La Dispute is that when some of bands write songs, they tend to repeat the pattern of the words and the music, in this case La Dispute manage to avoid all of those things, every song they create is well-thought of.




The downsides are these days a lot of hardcore or even pop punk bands do not own the live act as good as their predecessors, and La Dispute also have the similar problem. But hell they make it up by making good songs, so I ain’t complaining too much.


Mood for listening La Dispute : when you want to punch someone in the face, when you feel like the world is teaming up against you, or when you feeling sleepy and wanting someone to read you a bed time story 

Link(s) :

Reference(s) :






You Might Also Like

0 comments