Songs That Mark My 2019

February 06, 2020


Hey this is my third year of doing this list. May be this year I’ll change it up a bit. Aside from music that I’ve been listening to often, I’ll also put songs which I’ve discovered/re-covered in 2019. I’m also going to write some of the songs that are worth mentioning. Because I feel like there’s so many bands I grew up with came out with new songs/album this year (the peak is of course when MCR announces their comeback). Just click on the title to listen directly on Youtube.



Sam Fender - Hypersonic Missiles & Will We Talk / 2019

I am in looooveeee with this guy seriously. From his voice, music, and attitude. I think his album “Hypersonic Missiles” is one of the best albums of the year. There is not one bad song. On the plus side, ladies, he’s not so bad to look at 😉

Angels & Airwaves - Rebel Girl / 2019

As I said on this post, this year I’ve been listening to AVA a lot. I don’t know why. But their newer songs are not so bad. It seems like Tom is way happier as he jokes about Blink-182 a lot.

Dekat - John Cena / 2019

I just found out about this song literally on December. I saw them perform it on NET TV during MLD Spot I think. A great beat to listen to when you need to lift up your mood during an exercise.

My Chemical Romance - Summertime / 2011

I am one of those people who saw the live stream during their comeback set at The Shrine. I was so dang excited it felt like I was there amongst the crowd. Especially when the intro of “I’m Not Okay” started playing, the bit when Ray Toro and Gerard Way have a conversation on the stairs. Truthfully, when Danger Days came out, I was not a fan of it simply because it was so different than The Black Parade. I was like “What the hell?” but I wasn’t mad about it or became a hater. I was just not into it. Until, when they played “Summertime” during the reunion. They dedicated this song for Lauren Valencia, their manager who succumbed to cancer. It is a beautiful song. Very suited to its title, the song oozes summer feels. 


Alexisonfire - Complicit / 2019

One of my favorite bands ever because they always bring a hell of a good show (based on Youtube of course). Even though this song may not sound as heavy as their old ones, it is still nice to hear new tunes from such legends.


Dr. Pm - Damai Mimpi / 2000
Re-discovered this one and realized the brilliance and sophistication that the song possesses. 


Bombay Bicycle Club - Eat, Sleep, Wake (Nothing But You) / 2019

This song had me hooked at the first listen literally in December (boy, did I find good music at the end of the year). I also found out that they made a comeback in 2019 after being on hiatus for almost four years.  This song is just very catchy and to-the-point. The title sums up current generation’s daily routines.


Maliq & D'Essentials - Drama Romantika / 2013


Maliq & D'Essentiatls just can’t make a bad song, the made dangdut into something enjoyable for everyone, not all musicians can pull that off.  Drama Romantika is very very fun live! 

Catfish and the Bottlemen - Longshot / 2019

For me, they should create something different. Perhaps this is their plan or gimmick. But they already put out 3 albums and they sound… the same… But this song is still good nonetheless.

Blossoms - Your Girlfriend / 2019


Your Girlfriend is taken from the album “Foolish Loving Spaces”. These lads are super talented and can’t make bad songs (I say this a lot don’t I? But it’s true). Other songs from this album are also worth listening to.  

Andrew McMahon in the Wilderness - House in the Trees / 2018

I’m grateful that this man regularly puts out music every year. According to McMahon, this song is a dedication for his long-time friends whom he doesn’t see very often any longer.

Phoenix - Lasso / 2009
Phoenix is one of those bands that can be identified immediately due to their own unique style. I kind of regret not being able to watch them when they played at We The Fest 2017. It seemed like a lot of fun.

Jimmy Eat World - 555 / 2019
Upon the first listen, I didn’t know how to react because the video is so… bizarre yet I couldn’t look away. The song sounds very different to JET’s style but still good regardless

Depeche Mode - Somebody / 1984

The oldest song on this list but still relevant (probably because it is a love song?) I’ve been searching for this one for so long I even forgot about it and then BAM I finally found it. The lyrics and melodies are so heartbreaking they will melt your face

Landon Pigg - Can't Let Go / 2006

His other song ”Falling In Love At a Coffee Shop” might sound more familiar.

Gin Blossoms - Follow You Down / 1996
You can find their songs in almost all '90s playlist or '90s rock radio. As per usual, I just like listening to this song with no particular reason.

State Champs - Lightning / 2018
My favorite boys from Albany, New York. Lightning is an uplifting number from their newest album "Living Proof".


Photo Source(s):
Sam Fender 1
Sam Fender 2
Angels & Airwaves
Dekat
My Chemical Romance
Alexisonfire
Dr. Pm
Bombay Bicycle Club
Maliq & D'Essentials
Catfish and the Bottlemen
Blossoms
Andrew McMahon in the Wilderness
Phoenix
Jimmy Eat World  
Depeche Mode
Landon Pigg
Gin Blossoms
State Champs

You Might Also Like

0 comments