My Longest Relationship

February 08, 2020


Have you ever just felt like you’ve lost yourself at the end of the day? Maybe after being scolded by your boss, failed at exams, had a fight with your special someone. But somehow, after just listening to a song you feel like yourself again. You are reminded that you are a person with values, dignity, and all that good stuff. You are simply humbled.

That what usually happens to me. After a long day of work when I feel like shit, I'm thinking "Who am I? What the hell am I doing with my life?" When those rush of doubts suddenly approaching, I just open my Spotify and hit the play button.

My relationship with music is probably the longest one I have with everything and everyone. There are moments when I have no clue what kind of emotion I’m currently sensing. It is truly bizarre. I have developed this habit ever since I was a kid because at home and at school  ̶  as far as I can remember  ̶  I could never express myself clearly. I was basically a quiet kid, and when I felt certain emotions (particularly the negative ones) and tried to convey them, it backfired. I often ended up getting yelled at. It all started from there.

Then why don’t I just tell my friends when I’m sad or angry? I do, but not right away. As an adult, these days, I’m trying to rationalize those emotions. What causes them to emerge? And usually, I’m searching for songs that fitted best to ‘vocalize’ what I’m feeling. Then, after some time I can tell my friends about it.

That is also probably why I listen to so many genres. I listen to everything my heart tells me to. So, for every emotion, I have selected some tunes. Whether it’s anger, sadness, upset, or in love. I  even have neutral songs that can be listened to anytime and anywhere without dragging my feelings into certain emotions so my mood won’t be ruined. Because of that also I like to make playlists. It is very calming and therapeutic. If anyone who is reading this needs help creating playlists, just contact me, I’m your go-to gal 👌.

Until this very day, I’m still doing that. It is very hard for me to truly say what I’m feeling. I just put my headphones on and block everything. Maybe that is also why it is extremely difficult for me to connect to people, I mean on a different level, beyond friendship.

Hence for me, listening to music is not just for the sake of it. It goes beyond that. I get a sense of validation when I’m doing it without anyone saying anything. A validation to be myself in the face of doubt or when I’m being that self-deprecating bitch. It is my own little world where I can feel safe and free of prejudice of others. And NO ONE can take that away from me.


Photo source(s):

You Might Also Like

0 comments