Indonesian Music Youtube Channels

January 13, 2019


Since music is no longer exclusively shown on TV or being played on the radio, we could say the spreading is becoming easier and vast.

One of the most accessible media is Youtube. I remember my first ever Youtube video that I watched was From Yesterday by 30 Seconds to Mars ( I don’t know what is happening to their music nowadays). From that moment on, I was like possessed. I thought “what video should I watch next?”. I came to "warnet", an abbreviation of ‘warung internet’ or internet café in English, very often after school. Sometimes I went there with my friends or by myself.

So Youtube has a great deal in shaping my taste in music. Especially when I could not buy the artists’ albums because they weren’t sold in Indonesia. But my favorite part is watching concerts or live performances. And Youtube has plenty of that.

Dave Grohl at BBC Live Lounge

There's a lot of music channels on Youtube these days. Internationally, there are BBC Live Lounge, Triple J, and NPR Music. In Indonesia, there are channels similar to those I mentioned earlier, here are some of them.


Sounds from The Corner



This channel is probably the best Indonesian music channel in my opinion. It has been consistent in delivering high-quality content from Indonesia’s musicians since 2012. The men behind this channel are Dimas Wisnuwardono and Teguh Wicaksono, driven by the lack of quality music on TV, they decided to create SFTC so that the artists can perform live and sing their songs whole-heartedly. 

BukaMusik by Bukalapak


Lots of e-commerce these days use music as part of their marketing campaign (the current example is Shopee that invited Blackpink to Indonesia). I think it is a smart move since music can reach different demographics. One of which is Bukamusik by Bukalapak. They sometimes feature musicians performing in an already set-up studio or events arranged by Bukalapak. The studio version is more intimate since the musicians tell the meaning of their songs or short interviews about their lives.

Demajors TV


Demajors itself is a platform for independent music in Indonesia. It has its own website selling albums and merchandise from Indonesian renowned indie musicians and it also has its own radio. Demajors TV features artists’ performances from big festivals namely SynchronizeFest, music videos, interview, and even album release party.

Together Whatever


This is a subsidiary from Camel, a cigarette company that encompasses all about urban life and young people as you can see from its website. But its Youtube channel - made in 2017 - is mostly filled with live music performances from Indonesian musicians, although there is also some pieces of information regarding tips, places, or travel.

RIG RIG RIG Gear Demo


This is a channel specifically talks about musical instruments, from guitar effects to amps. I don’t know if it is owned by Iga Massardi (Barasuara) or he is simply the host, but he's the one who usually pops up on their videos. There are also other musicians namely Eross (Sheila on 7) and Baim (The Dance Company) who talk about their own gears. 


Photo Source(s):
Youtube Logo
Dave Grohl 
STFC
BukaMusik
demajors
Together Whatever
Rig Rig Rig

You Might Also Like

0 comments