What The F**k Is This Feeling?

March 18, 2017


Truly, this band makes me fall in love with music all over again.

They're called The Jezabels, an indie band from Australia.

The first time I saw their music video was through Channel [V] Asia (thanks guys!). It was "Endless Summer" and I was hooked immediately. I'm not good with describing and putting sounds into words (what kind of a blogger are you??) But, I'm going to try. When you listen to this song, it is as if you are on a beach staring into a sunset, whether you are alone or with someone it does not matter. And its is one of those rare songs that you can listen to any time of day, and still give you this certain "feeling". Lemme give an example, you cannot listen to sad songs in the morning and expecting to feel happy right? That's what I mean. Or even better, quoting one brilliant comment on Youtube:

"Each Jezabels song I listen to makes me think of that 'something' that my soul is craving for. Not sure if it's a place, person, or a memory." 

And in addition, it has the same vibe as Kings of Leon's Use Somebody. Just hear it for yourself. Seriously, I have been abusing this song for the past week.

The Jezabels-Endless Summer

When I say I'm falling in love AGAIN with music through The Jezabels, I did not mean I give up listening completely, but lately, there has not been any bands/groups/singers/musicians that excite me. So, I just listen to it just for the sake of listening to music. And when I rediscover them, I'm being reminded of how powerful music can be, the same thing as when I listen to Jack's Mannequin's songs back when I was a teenager. How they can stir up your feelings.

So, The band consists of four people, Hayley Mary (vocalist), Heather Shannon (keyboardist/ backing vocalist), Nik Kaloper (drummer), and Samuel Lockwood (guitarist), With only one guitarist, and no bassist, their music does not sound deprived, on the contrary, it is rich, probably because of the keyboard/synth. But that's the greatest thing, each person delivers great role without overshadowing one another, Hayley's vocal is one of a kind and they have one hell of a drummer (whom I have a major crush on, he has a great smile btw). 

The weirdest things about Australian bands are, they seem "ambitionless" in a way or they just want to keep it on the down low, and it has both positive and negative side. The good thing is they're not going to be blinded by fame and end up being shitty, they really really focus on their music and nothing else. but the negative side is I can't watch them in Indonesia. HAHA just kidding, they are not going to obtain the amount of appreciation that they deserve. But what I like about them in general, they're super nice, humble, and normal. They are just people who make music, that's all.

For some odd reason, their existence makes me question the music scene in the United States nowadays, and how ummh I don't want to say bad so I'm just going to say "lack of great bands". Now from the States, I solely listen to pop punk bands like State Champs or seasoned ones like Foo Fighters, Weezer, Rise Against, and once again Jack's Mannequin *wink-wink*

As for The Jezabels I'm going to put some of my favorites here. Hopefully, you will enjoy them as much as I do. My advice, listen to them while driving or on the road at night.

The Jezabels - Sahara Mahala

The Jezabels - The End

The Jezabels - Time To Dance

Photo source (s):

You Might Also Like

0 comments