Quit Instagram

August 08, 2024

The last time I opened my main Instagram (IG) account was in the first week of March. Now as I'm writing this is August. So I have not opened my IG account for about 5 months and this is what I realize.

At first, I just wanted to focus on Ramadan by deactivating my IG account. I noticed a great shift in me by not opening it for a month.

Basically, humans have an underlying need to be validated and that was what happened to me too. Having IG fueled that desire where I actually didn't need it, not from strangers or people I barely know. The opinion of those closest to me is more important. 

I'm not an avid visual person like some of my friends and colleagues who are graphic designers and photographers, so I don't feel that Instagram is for me. Words are more my forte. 

I'm still on that platform because those people there could be the replacement of LinkedIn.

But the downside of not opening IG is I don't know what my friends are up to, although that could be done via personal chat or meeting them in person.

I'm not totally off IG. I still have a second account that is actually useful, like finding info or joining competitions. Some of my friends actually follow it, even though I told them this is a second account. But they can unfollow me anytime and I'm not gonna be mad about it.

By deactivating my main account, I can focus more on other things like this blog. I've been blogging for more than ten years now. To my surprise, this platform has been useful in releasing my urge to share stuff, personal or otherwise (but not too personal, I have my own journals). It's like shedding off old skin or something, I get itchy if I don't do it. And who knows, this blog could be my legacy when I'm no longer in this world.

I have nothing against those who still use IG regularly, I simply say that it's not for me. 

And I still have that need for validation. I can say I hope no one reads this post, but it's not true. There is that small part of me who wishes people read this. But if not, that's fine too. 

Anyhoo, I still suggest taking some time off from social media and you will be surprised by the things your brain can come up with. Trust me. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments