Should I Delete My Social Media?

January 08, 2022

This notion has been lingering in my mind for quite a while.

Seeing the vibe on social media these days has left me with so many feelings, leaning towards negative. The reason why I made social media accounts was to escape from reality, but now I wanna escape from them. 

Especially with the issue of violence against women. Don't get me wrong, I 100% back up the idea of voicing this issue on different platforms. Before I get to this, I want to talk about one video from Sascha Stevenson. She and her family decided to move to her hometown in Canada. One of the reasons? Because the state provides a safety net for its citizens. The term 'safety net' is somehow embedded in my brain. Particularly with the Novia case (may she rest in peace). I was soooo mad when I read her story, mad to the core. I even cried and prayed for her after doing my daily prayer because I felt like that was the only thing that I could do for her. Because I know, to be able to do what she did, took a lot of courage. I don't condone any suicidal actions, but in her case, I felt like she was very brave. Is she going to hell? That's not my place (or any humans) to say or predict, quoting Habib Ja'far: that's God's prerogative right, not us. Coming back to the matter of safety net, Novia lost all of hers, from the death of her father (the figure whom she looked up to the most) to her rejection from the authority (where she actually sought help). Those who experienced trauma and depression, not only need support, but also safety nets. Someone or something that truly protects them at all costs. Someone said on the internet that Novia was able to survive that long because of kind strangers who were rooting for her but of course all of that wasn't enough. She needed tangible help and support.

I'm not saying that I know the full story, I simply am stating my own opinion based on my own experience. 

After Novia's case blew up, other similar stories started to emerge on social media. I'm actually glad that this is happening, but also sad. Those victims have no one to turn to other than social media/internet. Because those who are supposed to protect them, failed to do so. Well, it is both touching and sad at the same time because this isn't supposed to happen. Why? There are already official institutions for each specific case. But nowadays, everyone seems to do everything themselves. These shenanigans bring out the anger in me that I didn't know existed, and anger is my least favorite emotion.   

Not to mention, the so-called entitled "famous" people who feel like they could treat others do things as they please. I just can't anymore.

I'm writing this at 6 am in the morning and my head is hurting.

I don't know what is happening with people, why are they keep getting more evil each day. I'm not a saint either, but at least I try in my conscience state not to hurt anyone.

So I feel like nowadays social media is 70/30, 70 negative 30 positive. The bad outweighs the good.

But at the same time, I want to keep my social media because all of my friends are there. I want to know what they're up to, their activities, et cetera. That is probably why I'm still on it, keeping track of my friends. Also finding out music news, but there are still other ways to do that. 

I have done this actually, not posting anything for a month. The result? I came up with ideas, writing ideas to be exact, and I had so many times to focus on my self-development without any useless distractions. Sure you felt the FOMO at first, but it'd eventually pass.

So I guess I won't completely quit social media, just limit my usage. Only for certain reasons.

You Might Also Like

0 comments