Bring Me Back My Innocence!

November 12, 2017


*Sigh* so it is -sort of- true that Jesse Lacey from Brand New solicited nudes from an underage girl. After reading his statement I was like “WTF Jesse, this is so fucked up”.  He did not even address the allegation, he only mentioned that he was a dick who cheated on his wife.

This kind of conduct sadly is quite common amongst band members, especially guys. I’m not saying all of them are, it’s just think about it, you are in a band when you have fans, girls and teenagers who look up to you so much, you become essentially their world. Of course they are blinded and have these fantasies about you, you become their knight shining armour. Some of them despise that kind of attention, but some, unfortunately, use that power to feed their sick desire.

I’m not that big of a fan of Brand New, but I am -or was- a fan. I’ve been listening to them since high school until now. Their songs have melodies and lyrics that pierce your soul. Mostly when I’m feeling sad, upset, or emo-ish, Brand New songs are the go-to medicine. Imagine being fans who have devoted their time and money for the band. Some of them even said that Brand New saved their lives and they feel disappointed and betrayed by this news. Hell, imagine being the VICTIM who had been abused for years. She said that Lacey didn’t do anything physically, but mentally. I believe her, people are able to psychologically torture other people, simply by words or actions without touching them one bit.

This is what I hate being an adult, I can see things from different lights. But that is not necessarily a good thing when it comes to music. As a kid, when I listened to bands I didn’t really care about the process or the people who crafted the music. I just listened and admire the band members’ persona through television or magazines. Like with Ariel Peterpan, had i known that he was a sex maniac back then, man that would have wrecked me. I was so into him when I was in 6th up until 7th grade, but thankfully soon after My Chemical Romance came along.

I wish at this age I could enjoy music the same way as I did when I was in school but that will never happen. The internet only makes it worse.. *another audible sigh*

I just hope that people in bands or music industry in general (both men and women) don’t use this kind power to trick fans, particularly younger ones to fill their thirst for sexual satisfaction (emang segitu nggak lakunya apa berhubungan sama orang seumuran sampe harus godain bocah bawah umur?? Huft kesel akoh). And I hope kids and teenagers have some dignity and bravery in them to refuse this kind of behaviour if they ever come across similar situation like what Lacey did. Because I know at that age these kids feel so insecure and “not worthy”.


I believe that there are still so many good bands and musicians out there who happen to be good people and make music just for the sake of it. Those are the ones we should support.



Photo Source(s): 

You Might Also Like

0 comments